Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wall-e's weaves update

Wall-e's channel weaves are currently open at 3" (with guide wires around most of them to help him get his entries and stay in the poles). He attacks those weaves, single-striding through them, making the guide wires shake and sometimes the poles too! He's still figuring out his single-striding. Like most single-striding dogs who are just starting out, sometimes he steps over his feet as he tries to figure out the correct striding, but he's been improving! I won't narrow the channel any further until he consistently has the correct single-striding.

This morning I put a jump at a 30 degree angle to the weaves, and then put the target off to the right side at the end of the weaves instead of straight ahead. He missed his entry a couple of times, so I helped him for most of the reps, but for the fourth (and last) rep I let him try his entry independently, and he got it! He popped the weaves once at the 11th pole to get to his target, but didn't do it again.

I'll post a training video as soon as I can. Wall-e has his first fun match on Sunday -- we're not running the courses or anything, I just want to get him used to doing agility in the trial environment. I'll only do 10" jumps and tunnels with him, and probably train the teeter a bit too.

~Nat

2 comments:

  1. It's so cool that Wall-e is single-striding! We would love to see your weave training video - we'll look forward to you posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still really surprised that he's single-striding, I never expected him to since he's so small! And he's never even tried hopping once. I'm happy though, single-striding is pretty cool :) I'll post the video maybe after his fun match and after Mika's CKC trial at the end of this month.

    ~Nat

    ReplyDelete